First of all, I am so grateful to Dr. Brown and his awesome team! They are so kind and compassionate and made our experience go as smoothly as possible. Simon did great before the surgery - very patient and understanding - and inquisitive, of course! He got to keep a printout of his heartbeat to show his friends. He was particularly excited to show Lauren - and when he says her name, it's slow and deliberate, almost as if sighing while saying it ;).
They took him back with Brenda the bear and Dodi the elephant - two of his best buddies. He was glad they could join him! Before I knew it, Dr. Brown was calling us in to let us know that everything went fine. He, of course, said that Simon would not think he was fine - he would think that he's dying, but he did assure us that Simon was not dying - he was just going to be in a lot of pain. They suggested we do pain meds on a regular 4-hour basis consistently for 48 hours - check! We heard that loud and clear! It took him a while to come out of the anesthesia. When I finally got to go back there, he was not a happy camper. He was in pain - heart rate was 156. Nurse Jackie gave him something for nausea and his heart rate almost immediately dropped to 98. Whew! Glad she knew exactly what to do!
We spent the day yesterday snuggled on the couch together. Right at every 4 hours, you could see the pain meds were wearing off and I quickly got the next dose ready! He did sleep quite a bit, so that was good. He even had an appetite. He wanted toast, but quickly realized that didn't feel so great going down with a sore throat. He had some broth at lunch and of course popsicles and ice cream throughout the day - oh, and jello, too! He was so excited when Rob got home last night with ingredients his favorite avacado and chicken noodle soup. He at a whole bowl of it - all ingredients separately - pointing to what he wanted, as talking hurt too bad. I was surprised throughout the day how he remembered his sign language and put it to good use! Leti and Deja came to visit him in the afternoon and brought him his first Webkins. He was not in the best of spirits when they were there - they came right at pain meds time, however, later last night he was excited about his new baby tiger.
We woke Simon up twice last night for pain meds and I suspect I'll have to wake him again at 8:30 for another dose. I am hoping today goes well. I am thankful he rested as well as he did last night!
Thursday, July 30, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment