During our recent visit to New Jersey, Rob's parents so appropriately started calling Sutton "The Hurricane." We often joke that we should have named him Curious George or Dennis the Menace, but somehow those just didn't fit. Our friends Jen and Bryan call their 2nd son "The Mayor" because he's the Mayor of Crazytown. Well, Sutton is officially "The Hurricane." He comes in and washes you over with his cuteness and love, and somehow leaves a path of destruction behind him.
Yesterday was the epitome of this. The day started great. We had fun just staying at home for once! Sutton decided he wanted to play in the sink, so I set him up in the kitchen on a chair and gave him some cups and things to use. He had a blast - laughing, giggling, flinging water all over the place. Such a hoot, but left a big mess - which actually didn't bother me at all. I just really enjoyed his love for fun!
Later on, he really helped me do the dishes. When we finished, we closed the dishwasher and the phone rang - Simon's counselor for Camp Thurman was checking in with us. As I finished my conversation with him, I realized that Sutton had opened the cabinet under the sink (we don't have any cabinets child-proofed - yet), took out a dishwashing detergent tablet, and apparently tried to take the plastic off, but couldn't...so....he bit into it! A big chunck was out of the plastic and the tablet. Pieces were on the floor and he had a nasty look on his face. Thankfully, after a call to 911 and then a joint call with the 911 operator and the poison control operator, they determined that he should be fine.
Then we went swimming. We swim almost everyday and sometimes twice a day. I was in the pool. Rob was hooking up the sprinkler in the garden. Sutton got out of the pool and went over to the hot tub to walk around it and go where he usually jumps out to me in the pool. He apparently slipped, hit his face hard on the stones of the hot tub (big bruise on his cheek today!), and fell into the water. I think he was in pain and couldn't get himself up or to the side (he's a great swimmer usually). I don't know if he took in water or not, but I don't see how he couldn't have. I then started thinking about how you can dry drown and figured I wouldn't sleep because of worrying about him.
Well, I didn't have to worry about that because at midnight, Sutton started screaming in pain. Rob and I ran upstairs. He had a high fever and was obviously hurting. POOR BABY! We are so fortunate that both Simon and Sutton have slept through the night since they were 5 weeks old with the exception of those few times they have been sick. Sutton was so uncomfortable. I held him all night and he did sleep but, needless to say, I did not.
So, today's another day. He's feeling great - looks great, with the exception of a bruise on his cheeck - and acts happy as a lark. Nothing big yet, so that's good. Who knows when The Hurricane will hit again, but in the meantime he's washing me over with his love and cuteness!!
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment